Pages

Thursday, November 15, 2012

BREAKFAST DELIGHT


It's not often that I have the time to indulge in a special breakfast, let alone a breakfast which is so naughty but nice! This morning however I woke with a real craving for American style pancakes, crispy bacon & lashings of maple syrup. So I headed off for the kitchen to create this plate of delight.

Ingredients

30 gram(s) unsalted butter melted.
225 gram(s) plain flour
2 teaspoon(s) baking powder (heaped)
1 teaspoon(s) white sugar
300 ml full fat milk
2 medium egg(s)
10 rasher(s) streaky bacon (or approx. 100g wafer-thin-cut pancetta)
2 teaspoon(s) vegetable oil (for frying)

I started by putting all my dry ingredients into a large bowl, I put the remaining ingredients into a large pyrex jug, whisked them together till smooth, then slowly adding them to the dry, whisking between additions, the batter should be thick, it is also possible by the way, to throw all the ingredients into a blender pulse till smooth. I like to rest the batter for an hour ( if you can wait that long ). Use a large frying pan add a little vegetable oil & wait till its hot, then add as many spoonfuls as your pan will allow, don't over crowd though! I can usually fit 5 in my large pan.When you see little bubbles across the surface of the scone it's time to flip them over. Meanwhile cook the rashers of bacon & keep warm. I like to make a stack of 4, top with 2-3 rashers & of course lashings of maple syrup.
These scones freeze really well, so you can always have a stash in the freezer to enjoy anytime.
This was undoubtedly a treat & probably one I won't repeat too often due to calories & cholesterol content, but once in awhile it feels great to have a splurge & simply cook what you really fancy. I recommend giving them a try maybe next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment