Pages

Monday, July 23, 2012

Vampires & Garlic


A tribute to Vampire Diaries - garlic!

I am a big fan of Vampire Diaries, and as we are just harvesting our garlic it gave me the idea for this Blog.
Garlic drying out 
Fresh cut garlic
garlic in olive oil

Despite our little red squirrels best endeavors of stashing the bulbs in our rockery, we have successfully grown a good few kilos of these tasty culinary nuggets.
Garlic must be my favorite seasoning, & with my Italian background it's a very important addition in my cuisine.
It has so many benefits. Lowers cholesterol, strengthens immune system, good for the heart, purifies the blood, strong antibiotic, it has antifungal properties, good for recovery from coughs & colds to mention a few.
My son recently bought me a little silicone tube called "mr garlic" it rolls the garlic clove & takes all the outer skin off, works a treat. I then pop them into a Kilner jar with olive oil & herbs, I used tarragon & rosemary. Now I always have garlic ready on hand for that vital addition to any dishes.
Garlic bread has to be a popular favorite; it goes well with most savory dishes. Cut a baguette in two, length-wise, squish 2-3 cloves of your garlic into butter, or my personal favorite, use some of the oil from the marinating jar & 2 garlic, squish & smear along the baguette, wrap in foil pop into a moderately hot oven for 10 minutes, as easy as that - yummy bread in a flash.
I love it on any roast meats, vegetables before popping into the oven. It's delicious in mayonnaise, sauces, and soups.
Finally as I said at the beginning I love anything to do with vampires. My fascination began with Anne Rice’s interview with a vampire, Brad Pitt & Tom Cruise.  My favorites are the Twilight Saga films,starring Robert Pattinson as the gorgeous Edward Cullen. The TV series, The Vampire Diaries, starring Ian Somerhalder alias Damon Salvatore, is to die for, oops excuse the pun! It's hard to image a vampire who isn't a hunk, or is it just me, & they don't seem to mind garlic!!.

No comments:

Post a Comment