Pages

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Asparagus season





France has been gripped by election fever, & we now have a new leader, Monsieur Hollande has deposed Sarkozy, my French neighbours assure me that nothing will change they are both useless! so back to the more important business of food & drink

France is a country which prides itself on eating seasonal foods. Each new fruit vegetable meat fish etc is eagerly anticipated. The asparagus season is all too short & probably the most popular vegetable with the French. Every cook has their preferences white or green, the white being much bigger & probably the most popular. Cooks have their favourite recipes, from steamed with butter, to hollandaise, quiches, wrapped with smoked salmon or Jambon sec, vinaigrette dressings, & on & on. the recipes are endless.

 I needed a really quick supper dish, I bought a bundle of asparagus from the market at St Foy la Grande, I lightly poached the asparagus in water with a spoonful of salt & sugar, (sugar is a must), meanwhile I grilled some bacon, sautéed mushrooms in a little butter,  I poached 2 eggs & then its a simple case of placing everything on a hot plate, make sure the egg sits on top of the asparagus so the yolk acts like a sauce. Simple but oh so yummy.


No comments:

Post a Comment