Pages

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Today has many different names, Shrove Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Mardi Gras, a day we traditionally make pancakes for our family & friends. I have fond memories of one particular Year.

 I had just started working as a classroom assistant at a special needs school in Petersham Surrey. I was the new member of staff & more than a little nervous of my abilities to work with mentally ill & disabled children. At the morning staff meeting there was a very distressed head teacher, she had forgotten the packets of pancake mix, and the children were expecting to make pancakes & eat them at lunchtime. Much to my surprise non of the teachers knew how to make pancake batter from scratch. I said how easy they were to make and if they liked I was happy to make a batch for them. Before I knew what had hit me I was whisked (pardon the pun) off to the kitchen & presented with an apron, and asked what I required, I said it was simple a bag of flour, salt, eggs, & milk. 10 minutes later the first class arrived & we had a great time making & tossing about 12 pancakes, the children had a great time, in fact so much so the other 6 classes asked if they could make them too. I spent the entire day in the kitchen working with every class, I made over a hundred, & yes one did end up on the ceiling much to the delight of the kids.

 I walked home tired & smelling of sugar & treacle but elated, I had bonded with the kids & I loved this new job.

When my children & husband arrived home there were  cries of you are making pancakes tonight. So once again I found myself in the kitchen making stacks of pancakes, fresh lemon juice, maple syrup, caster sugar & bananas, what a day, and one I will never forget. 

No comments:

Post a Comment