Pages

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Its the most beautiful autumn morning the sun is continue to shine here at Chateau Perroterie, it makes me wonder if this Indian summer is ever going to end. Just in case we do have a sudden dip in temperature I am cultivating my delicate herbs, just a touch of ground frost & they are finished. All my herbs are in the ground as they grow so much better & of course I need a huge quantity, if your's are in pots great, just keep a watch & if frost is forecast bring them in doors. All I do is cut the herb to near the ground pull the leaves off if the stems are a bit tough otherwise include them, throw a large bunch into a food processor chop till fine then trickle some olive oil (not the good stuff) until it forms a paste. I line a baking tray with parchment paper & place a heaped teaspoon onto the paper, usually a spoonful is the equivalent of a stock cube measure. Then I pop the tray into the freezer for a few hours. I use Zip bags, label them, then I have a few weeks supple of frozen herbs. The good news is they are as flavoursome as if you had just picked it from the garden. I also did Tarragon, Parsley & Basil. Now my freezer is an exotic space full of tasty seasoning for the winter months. A tip I always add the frozen nugget straight into the pan or casserole no need to defrost because it does that pretty quickly on its own especially when you add it to a hot liquid. A golden rule with adding seasoning's whether they are fresh, frozen or dry, TASTE BEFORE YOU ADD ANY FORM OF FLAVOURING. You can adjust the flavour gradually but if you add too much its very difficult to correct. I hope you enjoy your frozen herbs if you choose to do the above. Love Angel Blogger.

No comments:

Post a Comment